Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The mountain tops and slumps

While I would like to paint the picture of being an 18+ teacher as fun 24/7, the truth is, it's not always rosy.

Disappointment is one of the absolute worst parts of being a teacher at any age level, but it really hits you hard with this type of program. Having a student just walk away when they show so much potential, being lied to repetitively, or having to do damage control from manufactured rumors between students and outside sources can get me down faster than anything else.

It is all very trying and many times it's additionally stressful in trying not to make it a personal fault as a teacher, but rather simply a bad decision made by adult students.

The peaks are, of course, the breath of fresh air that help re-gain focus. One such example is me asking a student what she wants for graduation and getting a teary, "Just a pair of shoes nobody else has worn." Yes, I cried too...more like sobbed at the humble request.

It only takes one special moment every once in awhile to erase the bad situations, and that's what fuels me to stay in education. I hope you all have those too.

No comments:

Post a Comment